things i'm working on…

by Moritz Heller / Germany

Creative Commons Lizenzvertrag

July 20, 2014 at 9:54pm
10 notes

This is my first attempt with two sided cnc machining… Also an important milestone for the project!

July 7, 2014 at 9:35am
0 notes

June 27, 2014 at 11:19pm
2 notes

Makerbot Replicator hack #2

After rebuilding the build platform of my Makerbot Replicator, I updated the extruder and replaced that part with the annoying delrin plunger that comes with the stock extruder.

May 21, 2014 at 5:40pm
2 notes

Tricopter Revision 2
A few month ago, I posted some pictures of my first Tricopter. The design is based on David Windeståls Tricopter and it was build with very cheap parts from Hobby King. It was a good Multirotor to start with and learn something about multicopters but it was not a very good Tricopter. The biggest problem was vibrations. I tried dynamically balancing the motors and propellers with a laser but failed because there is more to balancing than sticking tape to the motor or the propeller.

Now I re-builded my Tricopter almost completely based on what I learned through observations and experiments. Here are the things I changed…
The 10x10mm wooden booms flex and bend allot, so I replaced them with a little bit shorter 10x15mm booms, witch makes a remarkable difference.

Replacing the cheap motors and floppy propellers with good quality motors and high quality propellers made the biggest difference. I also use 900 KV motors instead of 730 KV motors and smaller propellers. Due to the higher revolution, the Tricopter is now able to perform fast and smooth descents without extensive wobbling. Also, no need to balance anything – Buying good quality parts definitely makes a difference…

My yaw mechanism was working well but because it was only a aluminum tube within a aluminum tube with a little bit lube, it was not of a lasting nature. I milled two bearing brackets and  installed a ball-bearing at the motor-side and a bush bearing at the servo-side. I also had to mill a new motor mount because the new motors have different mounting holes. The yaw mechanism is now really precise, solid and works even better.

Besides the major changes, I incorporated David Windeståls wire dampener solution for the camera/battery plate witch absorbs vibrations why better than my version. Thanks David!
After I updated the Firmware on the KK2 Board and tuned the PI-Values, my Tricopter flies and »feels« very good now.

Next Step – I’ll try to flash the ESCs with SimonK Firmware…

May 14, 2014 at 3:33pm
2 notes

Makerbot Replicator hack #1

I was not happy with the assembly of the original Makerbot build platform, so I decided to make my own. The original assembly works, but in my view the platform was to flexible. Also, the platfrom changes its height and orientation depending on the temperature of the build plate. I had to level the build platform for a specific temperature.

My new build platform assembly is made of 10mm aluminum leftovers, 5mm aluminum plate and some of the original parts. I milled all the parts on my milling machine witch was a lot of work but also a good exercise. My assembly also has an adjustable end stop (screw) witch makes experimenting with different build plate materials really easy.

10:59am
0 notes

May 9, 2014 at 12:00pm
3 notes

Refurbish a 13 year old RC-Plane / Final Part

After adding the white circles for the numbers and drawing all the black lines and numbers with a felt pen (edding 755), I sealed the whole plane with a clear varnish.

Now it flies again and I am very pleased with the result!

11:42am
0 notes

Refurbish a 13 year old RC-Plane / Part 3

Now its time for orange and blue…
At this time, I thought that I overdid it with the dirt, but it looks fine at the end…

11:27am
1 note

Refurbish a 13 year old RC-Plane / Part 2

As a first step, I primed the whole thing gray. Using a combination of airbrush and the finger to smear the paint, I applied dark brown paint around the panel lines to make it look older and dirty.

11:11am
0 notes

Refurbish a 13 year old RC-Plane / Part 1

After 13 years, one major crash, rebuilding and repairing, technology updates and some wearout failures, it was time for a complete overhaul. In addition to structural repairs, I decided to give this plane a vintage style racing paint scheme.

After filling, sanding, filling and much more sanding, I used a small rasp and a selfmade scribing-tool to score the panel lines.

March 4, 2014 at 10:56pm
1 note

This is going to be the most ridiculous and fun way to make my business cards…

January 24, 2014 at 10:13pm
2 notes
work in progress…

work in progress…